|Max Kadushin —|
Max Kadushin (1895-1980) was ordained by The Jewish Theological Seminary of America in 1920 and earned a Doctor of Hebrew Letters there in 1932. From 1921 to 1926 he was rabbi of Congregation B'nai Israel of Washington Heights in New York City. Next, Kadushin went to Chicago, where he was rabbi of Humboldt Boulevard Temple, a congregation composed of Hungarian immigrants, from 1926 to 1931. While in Chicago Kadushin helped found the Midwest Council of the Society for the Advancement of Judaism, an institution of the Reconstructionist Movement.
In 1931 Kadushin left Chicago for the University of Wisconsin, where he served as rabbi of the Hillel Foundation until 1942. From 1942 to 1952 he was director of the Hebrew High School of Greater New York, later known as the Marshaliah Hebrew High School. During the next several years he served two congregations in the New York area, the Bay Shore Jewish Center of Long Island, 1953-1954, and Synagogue Adath Israel of Riverdale, Bronx, New York, 1954-1958. From 1958 to 1960 Kadushin was professor of midrash and homiletics at the Academy for Higher Jewish Learning in New York City.
In 1960 Kadushin was invited to become visiting professor in ethics and rabbinic thought at The Jewish Theological Seminary. He held this position from 1960 to 1980, the year of his death.